Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Field Day 2010

I have to tell you what a terrific day I had at “Field day 2010” at Connor’s school. This was the first year I was able to attend since I was traveling the past two years. I need to mention to you a quick story though. During the hour long lunch the kids were able to have today I heard a dad talking about traveling for work and saying he was done. This guy was so hatefully about the rigors of travel, he was speaking to one of the teachers explaining how much he had to miss in his child’s life. I just wanted to go over and hug him. I thought when I first started to travel for work that my ex wife wanted me to do because it incorporated two variables that she wanted in MY work life; first was the money and second she would not need to deal with me and my little quirks. However I put my needs of the travel and her needs of the money in front of what was best for Connor. Well today really opened my eyes of things I have missed out.

I was a volunteer for the “Field Day” and WOW not only did it turn out to be a perfect day but the kids had a blast getting to be outside and just having fun. Now I was a volunteer for one of the events, a bean bag toss game and to me getting to hang with the kids was inspiring to volunteer my time more next school year. Please if you are a parent reading this take the time to spend in your child’s school or just volunteer period. Plus it was so cool to just encourage all of the kids when it was their turn to toss the bean bag. However the extra exciting part was encouraging the kids I knew also. I just had this kind of pride that because I knew this kid but at the same time a bit of sadness because their parents were unable to attend this marvelous day to see them being silly.

I have honestly had my own self doubts about being a dad and I think that is why one of my passions is to write about being a dad. I say I had self doubts because for the past two years as I was trying to figure out who I was with the life style of traveling, the parenting part has not come easy for me. I admire the dad’s who do make it look so easy but I know it is work, very rewarding but work. On my Twitter account I sent a message to Darren Hardy who is the editor of Success Magazine because he was asking what business I was creating and I told him that I want to be a paid speaker. Anyway I also wrote to him that he and others, who I look up to, make it look so easy of creating a business and being successful at it. I know it is dedication to be a better parent when not only when you have the typical both parents in one household, but coming from the aspect of being an every other weekend dad is tough. I have been very fortunate that since being home I have had more time to spend with Connor and creating memories not only for him but for me as well is a great journey to be on. My inner doubts stem from the fact that I am in my own words a part time dad so I do not get to experience Connor’s daily life. Last week my mom asked me “what cereal Connor likes?” and I new it was “Lucky Charms” but I was not 100% correct and also did not want to tell “MS. Fitness is my life.” I told my mom that I make Connor either pancakes or scrambled eggs when he is here. I feel like such a bad parent and do I really have an excuse? Do you know what the favorite cereal your kids eat?

Like I said what a great day today was and if my career was the same these are the things I would have missed out on again and again. Today was about creating memories but not necessary for Connor but more for me and how I too can reflect back when Connor asks me about my memories of today. I will tell him that teaching the kids about the bean bag game, getting to meet other parents, and of course just being there will be talked about for many years to come. I am happy to be out of work these days and getting to see Connor more and more then traveling and missing out on his life. Yes I know “DUH” but until you have lived that life you need to realize one thing and that is what I will leave you with as another “DUH” and that is LOVE YOUR FAMILY.

No comments:

Post a Comment